What would it take to ace your next presentation? To absolutely nail it. And not only that one, but the next and the next and the next, in 2018 and beyond.
Unfortunately for you and I, the odds of acing a talk are stacked against us.
For a start, people’s expectations of presenters have never been higher. After all, we see so many highly professional speakers – like on TV almost every time you look. Or in TED talks, which millions of people love to watch online.
And giving a presentation is so challenging, with all the technology that’s often involved. Think of all the tech you likely rely on for your talk to go smoothly:
- Remote control
- Projector (or online equivalent like WebEx or Adobe Connect)
- Perhaps an Internet connection
What’s more, public speaking involves so many diverse skills, like all these:
- Spoken language
- Written language
- Body language
- Stage presence
- Graphic design
With all those factors lined against you as a presenter, you could do with someone on your side.
So with that in mind, I’ve written dozens of articles to help you ace your presentations. You’ll find a few of them below, grouped into categories so you can focus on specific skills.
I hope they help you ace your presentations in 2018 and beyond. Good luck!
And you’re always most welcome to leave your own thoughts on how to ace a presentation.
- Picture your talk as a shape… Now, what shape do you see?
- Should you tell a deeply personal story? 3 ways to help you decide, from @KindraMHall [Video]
- Slide makeover: 5 steps to replace boring bullets with audience awe
- Nail your point – Speak in threes. Speak in threes. Speak in threes
- Giving a sales presentation? Turn the process on its head [Video]
- Secret #5 of star presenters: @TEDchris on persuading your audience [Video]
- 12+ ways to be remembered when you present (FiRST framework – part 3)
- Be the spark! Ignite action with your talk
- Simplify your words (List of examples)
- Using true eye contact, meaningful movement, and natural gestures [Video]
- Secret #6 of star presenters: 3 great benefits of pausing
- Big presentation? Go from stressed to your best
- 6 tips to boost your confidence
- 3 secrets that make your slides look modern for 2017
- Quiz: How many words should you put on your slide, and why?
- Learn 4 pro slide layouts – in 2 minutes [Video]
- Draw like a pro: Make perfect circles, squares and triangles in PowerPoint [Video]
- 10 tech tips for webinars and online meetings
- Presenting a 1-hour slideshow in 30 minutes? Don’t speed up! Do this…
- 9 tips to design presentations for webinars – critique of Ellen Finkelstein’s post [Part 1]
- How to open a high-stakes PowerPoint presentation instantly – for a key client, top management, or other VIPs
- Black is back, but better – 3+ new ways to hide your slide while you speak
- Stop Q&A hypnosis – keep audience attention during your talk or webinar
- Want to engage people through WebEx or Adobe Connect? Try these 9 tips…
Remarkable things here. I’m very satisfied to look at your article.
Thanks for dropping by.
Fantastic post, Craig. Especially like the intro and the links are great.
I’m glad you like it, and thanks for your comment Carl.