Of the countless presentations you’ve likely heard, how many have really made you listen? Often, they can sound and look a lot like all the rest. That’s why, if you’re like me, they tend to leave you cold.
So when you present, you risk seeming just like all the other presenters. In which case, people can start to tune out – fast! That is, unless you start strong.
What’s the best way to start strong? Involve people emotionally! To do that, mention their hopes or fears surrounding your topic – while still being professional of course. That engages your audience because they’re drawn in at a gut level. And, it’s so different from the norm!
I recommend 3 neat ways you can start strong when you present. Choose any 1 of them to open your talk:
- Ask people to imagine a scenario involving risk or reward.
- Cite a startling statistic. (Yes, a number does draw people in emotionally, provided they find it startling.)
- Share a story or anecdote about success or failure (like in this example of being terrified before speaking).
Example opening lines
No matter which of those 3 ways you use, make sure what you say relates closely to your topic.
For instance, suppose you’re presenting to managers at your company about onboarding their new hires. To start strong, you could use any of these as your very 1st words:
“Picture this: You become renowned as the leader with the best onboarding program in the company.
[Pause for several seconds to let people picture that.]
Today, you’ll learn all you need to make that happen.”
“If a new hire leaves within the first 6 months, the company’s wasted [X] thousand dollars.
[Pause for several seconds to let that sink in.]
In this talk, you’ll see how you can avoid that in your cost centre.”
“This year, having attended this session for the 1st time, Mary Jones received outstanding feedback from her new hires. They gave permission for me to share with you some of what they said…”
What great examples of starting strong have you seen – or used yourself? Please share in a comment below.
- Starting your talk with a startling statistic – 3 examples [Video]
- Awesome opening lines: 20+ more examples for your speeches, from Patricia Fripp (Certified Speaking Professional)
- Grab attention – 5 great opening lines for your presentation stories [Video]
- How to FIX the #1 mistake when you present online (Includes example opening lines)
- How to open a high-stakes PowerPoint presentation instantly – for a key client, sales prospect, top management, investor pitch, or other VIPs
- Secret #7 of star presenters: @JonAcuff on how to instantly be a better speaker (Using a “lean-in” opening line)
- Today’s most popular posts, and the latest visitor comments