For neat ideas for your next talk’s opening line, here’s a great free resource. It’s a 2-page PDF packed with almost 30 opening lines by Patricia Fripp, CSP – former president of the National Speakers’ Association in the US.
A few months ago I shared a 7-minute video by Patricia in which she demonstrated 5 of those opening lines. Well since then, she’s generously published this greatly expanded list of ideas, in a format that’s really quick to take in.
Here are 3 examples:
- “Just like you I was brought up to believe…”
- “You know what it’s like when…”
- “If I were to ask you…”
Draw your audience into what you’re saying
I like those examples because they each use the word “you”, which is a key way to help make your presentation about your audience. By involving people that way, you draw your audience into what you’re saying. You also properly orient your talk to their needs and knowledge – not yours.
So do check this out:
Over to you
- Which is your favourite opening line from Patricia’s list, and why?
- What’s the best opening line you’ve ever heard or used in a presentation?
See these related posts too
- Grab attention – 5 great opening lines for your presentation stories
- Secret #7 of star presenters: @JonAcuff on how to instantly be a better speaker (Using a “lean-in” opening line)
- Starting your talk with a startling statistic – 3 examples [Video]
- How to use quotes in your presentation – 25+ tips from Six Minutes & me
- How to FIX the #1 mistake when you present online
(Includes example opening lines)
- All posts about opening lines
- Today’s most popular posts, and the latest visitor comments